Tuesday 20 March 2012

'Sew' Organized!

Since I started knitting, I have built up quite a collection of knitting needles: DPN's, Cables, Screw on needles, stitch markers, etc... All over the last 2 months actually. My collection got so big, that I didn't know how to organize them anymore. They were all stashed together in a drawer, and it took me forever to match the right sizes when I needed some. I love the KnitPro Harmony wood needles, which have the sizes written on them, but don't be fooled, after a couple hours of knitting, the writing on them magically disappears! So this was a little bit of 'drama'!

 
Where to store all these needles and tools? I'm going on board soon, and would like to take everything with me in an organized way! My dear friend made me a lovely sewn 'crochet hook' case for my hooks which I still love and use a lot, but I couldn't fit all my knitting needles in there as well. But I did LOVE the idea of having a 'roll'. But sewing? Another scary thing to discover! 
Wonky stitching, 'sew' what? ;-)

Matt and I bought the cheapest sewing machine we could find about a year ago, because I had to sew a pillow case which was just plain and easy. But this was going to be a little more tricky.
 

I found a great tutorial on the internet. It's a beautifully designed 'knitting needle roll'. I was going to take the challenge, no matter if it would turn out horribly! I bought myself some lovely colorful fabrics, which didn't all match, but I wanted something playful!


What I didn't quite realize whilst making this case, was that it was meant for long knitting needles, and not necessarily for small ones. I don't really own big needles since I love working on circulars and dpn's. I already had this suspicous feeling that my case was going to turn out big, but I figured that I hadn't gotten to the part in the pattern yet where you would have to fold something over so it would get smaller. But no, I rechecked the pattern and the pictures and it was definitely meant for big needles. But I had gotten so far, that I didn't mind, I kept on going.


And how about that! It's not perfect, I don't really like the red stitching on the inside, it's a bit big, but... I LOVE it! I love that I made it! I love that it does exactly what it needs to! I love the crazy colors together on the inside! And you know what, the top flap of the case might be sticking out, but it perfectly folds over, so the needles are still not going anywhere! I actually like the effect that it has on the finished look when I fold it up. The ribbon around it is now above the center and I think it looks lovely!


I still have to learn a lot about sewing, first of all I should have a little more patience. I don't really care that much about perfect cutting, or measuring, or even and straight stitches. But it's just for me, and I'm very happy with it! I can store my scissors, my 'needle size measure thingamajig', cables, needles, stitchmarkers, tape measure and all that in such a compact little 'case'. What a joy to have completed this!


How and where do you store your needles or crochet hooks?

Have a lovely week everybody!

Dennis xxx
This post has moved!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.

Click here to read this post in full at it's new home!

37 comments:

  1. well done ! I should make something like that too because it can be very chaotic in my knitting stuff box...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did a great job. Your fabrics are gorgeous.
    I keep one set of crochet hooks in a metal pencil tin and another set in a crochet roll that my sister made me (yep, I have way too many crochet hooks!). My knitting needles are kept held together with an elastic band - I think I'd better go and hang my head in shame about that. I need a knitting needle roll like yours now. I'm going to bookmark that tutorial right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done its real nice, great choice of fabrics :)
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fabrics and great job, I'm hopeless at sewing so I think your roll is stunning. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great, well done. I keep my crochet hooks (still a smallish collection) and my 'sewing in' needles in a screw top tin that was for pure vanilla pods. It is slim, long enough for the longest hook and easy to pack away and for ages, it smelled divine.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your needle case. I used to keep mine in an old champagne box but it met a sticky end this year when burglars rummaged thru it and I no longer fancied it - my needles are now all in a cloth shopping bag which is really useless. I am wanting to learn to sew - maybe this would be a good first project. Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great. I love those fabrics. Regarding the 'long needles' thing, could you could sew across to shorten the top pockets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I however do LOVE the red stitching :) ... it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do have a knitting bag but it's too small to hold everything so currently I have a blanket (WIP) in a brown paper 'cult clothing' bag! My current project is a crocheted baby blanket, my first EVER attempt at crochet!! I was inspired by you guys, Lucy over at Attic24 and Vanessa Cabon (Do you Mind if I Knit, it's actually her Sisterhood blanket pattern I am using). I am so excited as it's looking not too bad! All my wool for this project is stored in the plastic bag that I brought it home from the shop in (along with my hook, scissors and needle for sewing in ends). Not very glamourous! xx Ps I think your needle case looks great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a super job making something you need and it's so eye-catching and colorful! You should show us your crochet hook bag. I have a little plastic zippered bag I keep my stuff in. It's not crafty looking, but it works.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you're a hero. I can't believe you did it without sewing experience. I have an old dusty sewing machine, getting older an older because I fear to use it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so adorable! Love how you used different fabrics that co-ordinated so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're obviously an absolute natural at sewing because this is amazing!! I love the fabric you've used - it's just perfect!!
    Leah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you! I love learning new skills (as far as crafts are concerned!) Like the choice of colors too! I own a lot of knitting needles which come from my grandmother (she owns even more!!!) I keep them in a long, plain wooden box I bought years ago when I was a student. I can't say they're organized in there, but at least, they're all together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dennis, it looks absolutely brilliant and I know that you picked colours that don't match but they look great together. It may not be perfect but you will always love it regardless as it was your first 'proper' stitch project. Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL, very familiar. But yours look a lot better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done, and very brave! I bought a cheap sewing machine a year ago, and I'm still afraid to use it :-) I keep my crochet hooks in a pencil case and my knitting needles in a knitting bag I bought at Veritas, but I have the same problem, some of the needle sizes disappeared of the needles - I need a needle size measure thingy like you have! I love the different coloured fabrics you've used, it makes a very happy needle roll :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. A brilliant make! You are far more organised than me! I have countless needles I've collected through the years .... unfortunately all mine live in a large long plastic box all mixed in together ..nowhere as colourful and pretty as your new roll.
    Well done

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why is it everytime I go on your blog I am amazed? I discovered your blog about a month ago, and I have never seen such talent. You are so creative and pay such attention to detail. What an inspiration you have become for this wee Canadian gal. Thank you for adding such spark to my day.
    As for my knitting needles I bought a case(much like the one you made) from a store on Etsy. I love being so organized. I just recently found a smaller one to help keep my knitting bag orgainzed also. I love having everything 'on hand' that I may need.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's great Dennis! I love the red stitching and the different fabrics you have used. I made a similar holder for my crochet hooks last year - my first attempt at using my new sewing machine and was pleased with my attempts, wonky stiching and all! My knitting needles are currently in a tall circular container I keep meaning to jazz up with a nice crocheted cover - one day I'll get round to it. Thanks for such an inspiring blog. Joanna xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go Dennis! I LOVE IT!!! I love all the fabrics together and even the red stitching on the inside. You should be very pleased with yourself indeed! I have done a bit of sewing, even made 3 quilts a few years ago. But I am SO MUCH better at knitting and crocheting that yarn play is more my cup of tea. I struggle with the precise measuring/cutting thing also. I might give something like this a go though!
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! You are so very talented in all areas of needle type crafts!!! Your case it absolutely lovely! I have two sets of knitting needles one circular which is bamboo and one normal ole straight set. Neither of which get much use because knitting and I just don't get along! BUT my crochet hooks are in a nifty case that came with a set I bought online. I also have a tape measure, my darning needles, and my scissors in it. I have a small pink makeup pack that I keep my other crochet essentials in.

    Again, your projects amaze me every time! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your case and I love that you just got the fabric and had a go - that's how all good enjoyable sewing starts! Hopefully it will give you the confidence and drive to have a go at making some other stuff too. Once you start making stuff for yourself, you will start to notice that shop bought stuff sometimes also has wonky stitching! I keep vintage knitting needles in a jug on display and a full set of needles in their own case. My metal crochet hooks are in a homemade crochet roll and the plastic ones are in a Paperchase pencil case, but my 4mm and 5mm hooks sit in a little dish on my coffee table with some scissors and a needle for sewing in ends. Always nice to have everything to hand. Can't wait to see what you make next. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. My sister made my knitting needle case 35 years ago for my 18th birthday. She used what she had to hand and the sewing is wobbly. But it was made with love and I still use and treasure it. Well done for such a fun and quirky first sewing attempt. I wonder what you will do next? A craft bag perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just found your blog. Such beautiful crochet projects (and great photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Dennis
    Wow! I so impressed with your needle case!! Well done!!
    Love NikkiM

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's GORGEOUS!!! You should be super-proud of yourself, I've been sewing for years and my stuff never looks that good. I love it! Sad to say, my crochet hooks are stuffed in an old biscuit tin and my knitting needles are in a plastic bag. Not very aesthetically pleasing...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice one, **note~to~self*** get out sewing machine and improve on my existing crochet roll!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it!! The choice of colours is wonderful!!!
    My crochets hooks are inside an old cigars metal box....

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think you did a wonderful job. It's a great idea and I'm going to copy you.
    have a good boatjourney.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i think yours is much more beautiful than the original tutorial one

    ReplyDelete
  32. A very good idea!! Love it, the brown cover with its turqoa circle are fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your needle case screams fun to me. I love the clashing of fabrics and colours, plus it's very smart looking grab & go needle carrier. I store mine in a shop bought KnitPicks carry all, not nearly as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your needle organizer - so colorful :)
    I had the same dilemma (lots and lots of needles everywhere and no convenient way to take them with me to ravelry meetings etc) so I also made one myself. I looked at needle organizers on etsy but it wasn't quite was I was looking for so I came up with a design myself. It suits my needs but it certainly isn't perfect :D
    http://frogged-designs.blogspot.ca/2011/07/knitting-needle-organizer_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! I would never believe you are new to sewing! It's wonderful and colorful and practical! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, that's very organised! Unlike me, I'm always changing my knitting needle cases every now and then. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wooww Matt!!!
    What a neat pouch for your Knitting needles. Very impressive !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment!